Mix-up something scrumptious today with this special recipe provided to you by Mission 106 Apartments in Leawood, Kansas and put our updated, fully equipped kitchens to good use!
If you really want to put your fully equipped kitchen to good use, then some mornings call for a decadent breakfast. When those occasions arise, reach for this Strawberries and Cream Stuffed French Toast recipe! Consisting of fresh berries, soft cream cheese, lemon zest, and brown sugar, this is one breakfast recipe that no one will be able to refuse. We suggest making a few batches – it will be difficult to share just one serving of this recipe!
For the French Toast
- 1 loaf Texas Toast or any thick bread, approximately 8-10 slices
- (1) 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam
- 2/3 cup strawberries, sliced into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter for pan
- Fresh berries (blueberries, blackberries and/or strawberries)
- Powdered sugar
- Real maple syrup
- Fresh whipped cream
- In a small bowl, beat together cream cheese, jam, and lemon zest. Fold in fresh strawberries. Spoon mixture on piece of bread and top with another piece of bread.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together milk, eggs, vanilla, and brown sugar.
- Heat skillet on medium low heat and add 1 tablespoon of butter per French toast.
- Working in batches, dip each piece of French toast into custard batter. Let each side soak for about 10 seconds. Add the soaked slices to the sizzling butter in the skillet.
- Cook until golden brown – about 4 minutes per side.
- Serve with fresh berries, powdered sugar, whipped cream, and real maple syrup.