Mix-up something scrumptious tonight with this special recipe provided to you by Mission 106 Apartments in Leawood, Kansas, and put our updated, fully equipped kitchens to good use!
Speaking of recipes summer is watermelon season. It’s cool, refreshing, and hydrating. Like summer is synonymous with fresh fruit, the season just wouldn’t be the same without a watermelon drink or two. So, it’s the perfect time to explore some watermelon cocktails.
Whether it’d be a margarita, martini, or mojito, these drinks can be enjoyed with or without liquor – all you need is some fresh watermelon from your picnic leftovers. The best part about using watermelon for your virgin or non-virgin cocktail is that it quickly transforms into a sweet juice. So, enjoy some Vitamin D and stay refreshed during your next summer-friendly outdoor activity with one of these two suggestions!
Gummy Bear Margarita
For the Raspberry-Kiwi Tequila
• 1 (750-milliliter) bottle blanco tequila
• 1 cup raspberries, rinsed
• 1/3 cup peeled and sliced kiwi
For the Cocktail
• Granulated sugar, for rimming
• Gummy bears, for garnish
• 1 1/2 ounces raspberry-kiwi tequila, or blanco tequila
• 1-ounce watermelon liqueur
• 1/2 ounce triple sec
• 1-ounce sour mix
• 1-ounce cranberry juice
• 1 dash grenadine
Make the Raspberry-Kiwi Tequila
1. In an infusion jar, add the raspberries and kiwi. Fill with tequila.
2. Seal the jar, shake well, and store in a cool, dark place for five days, shaking daily.
3. Test the infusion to see how the flavor is developing. Infuse longer if needed, tasting it daily until it reaches your desired intensity.
4. Strain out the fruits and bottle the flavored tequila. Store like any other liquor.
Make the Gummy Bear Margarita
1. Rim a chilled margarita glass with sugar, then fill with ice and gummy bears.
2. In a cocktail shaker, pour the tequila, watermelon liqueur, triple sec, sour mix, cranberry juice, and grenadine. Fill with ice.
3. Shake well, and strain into the prepared glass before serving and enjoying.
Watermelon Cucumber Cooler
• 1 1/2 ounces fresh watermelon juice
• 3 slices cucumber, divided
• 1 1/2 ounces gin
• 1/2 ounce simple syrup
• 3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
• 1 pinch kosher salt
• 1 1/2 ounces soda water
1. Press the watermelon to make juice by squeezing it in a juicer or using a muddle with about three 1-inch chunks in a mixing glass. Strain and reserve 1 1/2 ounces of the juice.
2. Place two slices of cucumber in a cocktail shaker and muddle well.
3. Add the gin, simple syrup, watermelon and lime juices, and salt. Fill with ice and shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
4. Fine strain into a highball glass filled with fresh ice, and top with soda water.
5. Garnish with a cucumber slice. Then, serve and enjoy.